Thursday, March 3, 2022

Silos

 I love taking classes. So much so, I am currently on sabbatical writing my dissertation at one school and decided to enroll in a second masters program. Tonight’s class was fabulous. Engaged and rigorous discussions. 

I’m still learning the campus and really just know the few buildings I’ve had classes in…. Walking back to my Jeep tonight I noticed the Math and Engineering building. This excites me as I love math!

But -a  moment later I was struck: if colleges still teach and organize in silos, there’s a trickle down effect in Prek-12 education. It’s what teachers know. They repeat it in their instruction. Kids continue learning in silos.

Education in silos isn’t great. At times, moments od isolated use for content focus is needed. But when we remove the silos and focus on big picture, real world problems/situations knowledge is more sticky, curiosity is engaged, learners are empowered. 

#rethinksilos 

No comments: